Monday 29 December 2014

My simple gluten free bread

Having been gluten and dairy free now for some 10 years I have used many different recipes with many different successes. At times these recipes were incredibly complex and required too many ingredients to be functional. A few years ago I watched a program make a glutinous loaf with some envy thinking how easy it was.  A statement within the program however stuck with me. "Bread is only salt water yeast and flour".

Surely it could be easier.

As our family has become less reliant on processed foods it was imperative that I develop a bread that is simple to make and tasty. I prefer to make a focaccia style, however I have had success with loaves as well.

Ingredients 

2 cups Buckwheat flour

2 cups of Tapioca flour

3 teaspoons Salt

1 teaspoon guar gum

3 teaspoons Yeast

1 heaped teaspoon of Honey

1 egg

Warm water

This fabulous Buckwheat flour is a biodynamic one. It is less processed than some store brought ones. 


Method 

Place flours, salt, guar gum in a mixing bowl and combine together.

Prove yeast in a ceramic bowl with honey, a tablespoon of flour mix and approximately 1 cup of warm water. Once yeast is foamy mix with flours. Add enough warm water till bread is porridge consistency. Add egg and mix thoroughly.

Tips

Remember it is not a glutinous loaf so is much runnier. If too runny it will not rise and will be very dense at the bottom. I find it easier to use a flat stiff spatula to mix the dough.

Note the porridge like consistency 

Grease and line a baking tray of your choice.  Let rise for a bit. Sometimes I put it straight in the oven, but it does turn out better if given at least 20 minutes to rise.  Cook in a hot oven till golden and hollow sounding when tapped. It should shrink from the sides a bit too.

Sometimes I add linseeds, chia seeds, or sunflower seeds depending on my mood.


Slice up and enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment